Microsoft recently released two hotly anticipated Intune Preview features:
- Self-Deploying Autopilot – Azure AD Joined
- User-Driven Autopilot – Hybrid Azure AD Joined
Naturally Microsoft has added logic to the menu selections in the Autopilot Deployment Profiles that greys out incompatible menu options. I have found and reported to Microsoft a bug that allows you to select incompatible options. Doing so causes you Autopilots to fail.
Creating a new policy and selecting Deployment mode: User-Driven Autopilot – gives you two options:
- Azure AD Join
- Hybrid Azure AD Joined (Preview)
Selecting Self-Deploying (Preview) locks the ‘Join to Azure AD as’ drop down menu on to Azure AD Joined. This is desired because Hybrid Azure AD Join is not available for Self-Deploying mode (yet).
Now the bug…
- Save a policy with the User-Driven – Hybrid Azure AD Joined options selected.
- Go back in to the policy and select Properties.
- Change the Deployment Mode to “Self-Deploying”.
- Note that the ‘Join to Azure AD as’ drop down stays greyed out on the invalid option ‘Hybrid Azure AD Joined’ .
This is not just cosmetic. By doing this the Autopilot device will fail on the Enrolment Status Page (ESP) with the error: 0x801c03ed.